Medical Coding & Insurance Billing
Medical Coding & Insurance Billing provides theoretical & practical training in fundamental electronic Medical Billing and Coding skills that are essential to the modern-day medical office. You will learn all about common medical procedures that are performed in the average medical office, and how to properly and effectively code and bill for those medical procedures to assure prompt insurance reimbursement. Doctors prefer to focus upon diagnosing and treating patients; so when you become a successful medical coding and insurance billing professional, you will also become an essential and valued member of the medical office team.
If you are a detail-oriented, organized person who loves to work in the fast-paced medical environment, then this career is worth your serious consideration. California Healing Arts College will teach you what you need to know and will assist you with finding employment after you graduate. The Medical Coding & Insurance Billing Program is an entry-level program designed to teach you anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, and the coding and billing skills you will need to work in the average medical office, clinic, and hospital setting. We invite you to call us for more information, and to schedule a visit of our campus today!
What is Medical Coding & Insurance Billing?
A Medical Coding & Insurance Billing program at the California Healing Arts College (CHAC) prepares individuals to effectively and efficiently maintain a patient’s medical record and other health and medical information. Medical Coding & Insurance Billing is an important behind-the-scenes part of our health care system. Certified Medical Coders & Billers communicate between medical offices, patients & insurance companies. By assigning letters & numbers to diseases & conditions, injuries & medical procedures, they speed up the process of payment.
Medical coding and insurance billing professionals require an ability to focus on details, and should have patience. Problem-solving skills are also useful and essential, as coders are required to determine which part of each medical report is relevant to bill / code for. Medical coders should have knowledge in the following areas:
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans
- Completing CMS-1500 and Commercial Claims
- CPT Coding
- ICD-9-CM Coding
- Insurance Claim and Regulatory Considerations
- Tricare and Workers’ Compensation
Duties performed by a coding & billing specialist may include any combination of the following:
- Appropriately filling out and filing medical insurance forms
- Assigning a code to each diagnosis and procedure
The American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) offers several types of medical billing and coding certifications:
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC): To become a CPC, an individual must pass a coding certification examination sponsored by the AAPC. The examination consists of questions regarding the correct application of CPT codes, ICD-9-CD diagnosis codes, and HCPCS procedure and supply codes used for billing professional medical services to insurance companies. To sit for the exam, an individual must have at least two years of coding experience and is required to maintain yearly renewal and CEU (continuing education) requirements.
- Certified Professional Coder – Hospital (CPC-H): To become a CPC-H, an individual must pass a coding certification examination sponsored by the AAPC. The examination consists of questions regarding the correct application of CPT codes, ICD-9-CM diagnoses, and procedure codes used for billing facility services to insurance companies. To sit for the exam, an individual must have at least two years of coding experience and is required to maintain yearly renewal and CEU requirements.
- Certified Professional Coder – Payer (CPC-P): To become a CPC-P, an individual must demonstrate that he or she has the skills and knowledge to arbitrate provider claims effectively. The CPC-P certification demonstrates the payer coder’s proficiency, aptitude and knowledge within the payer environment. To sit for the exam, an individual must have at least two years of coding experience and is required to maintain the appropriate amount of yearly CEU requirements.
The American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) offers the following credentials:
- Certified Coding Associate (CCA): Even without much job experience, a new coder can earn the CCA immediately in order to demonstrate competency in the field.
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS): Certified Coding Specialists are professionals skilled in classifying medial data from patient records, generally in the hospital setting. To become a CCS, an individual must possess expertise in the ICD-9-CM coding system, as well as the surgery section within the CPT coding system. Additionally, the CCS should be knowledgeable of disease processes, medical terminology, and pharmacology.
The National Healthcare Association (NHA) offers the following credential:
- Certified Billing & Coding Specialist (CBCS): To become aCBCS, an individual must pass a coding certification examination sponsored by the NHA. The examination consists of questions surrounding administrative procedures for medical billing and insurance claim processing, as well as submitting, tracing, transmitting, and appealing billing claims for a full range of health plans.
- Group practices
- Insurance companies
- Multispecialty clinics
- Nursing care facilities
- Physician offices
- Rehabilitation / Specialty centers
- Working from home
(a) Be a high school graduate or equivalent
(b) Be at least 18 years of age
(c) Be physically fit enough to perform the required tasks for your training
Program Length Class Schedule
36 Weeks • 900 Clock Hours • 26 Credit Hours
Monday-Thursday 8:00 am to 1 pm or 5:30 pm to 10:30 pm
(20 Hours per week with breaks)
Please check with the Admissions Department for the start dates and schedules of a particular program.
Tuition and Fees
California Healing Arts College participates in several types of funding programs, and we offer several options for tuition payment. A staff of well-qualified financial aid advisers is available to advise and assist you in applying for aid. All prospective students are encouraged to apply for financial assistance if unable to meet educational costs on their own.
Our Career Services staff is eager to provide placement assistance to all graduates, including résumé preparation, job-seeking skills, and interviewing techniques. To enhance your career planning, a review of these items will be supplemented with job leads after successful completion of the program. While we cannot guarantee employment, Career Services will assist in securing a job that’s right for you.
- Provide valid documentation of negative tests for Tuberculosis and Hepatitis B in order to be placed at extern. For the “day” schedule, this must be done within six (6) months of the student’s start date; for the “evening” schedule, this must be done within nine (9) months of the start date.
- Be at least 18 years old. If younger than 18, the applicant must provide a valid high school diploma or equivalent.
- Provide a valid high school diploma or equivalent.
- Interview with an admissions representative and tour the campus.
- Complete all requisite forms in the admissions packet.
Call us toll free at (310) 826-7622 to learn first-hand how California Healing Arts College can help you change your life today!
California Healing Arts College has been training quality Massage Therapists in Southern California since 1988, and our reputation has grown over time, because of the success of our Massage Therapist graduates. The Massage Therapist Program thoroughly prepares you for work in a variety of professional massage therapy environments including but not limited to chiropractic and [...]
Veterinary Assistant Program For those who love animals, there are few jobs more rewarding than that of a Veterinary Assistant and the Vet Assistant Training program at California Healing Arts College will help you get there fast. The compassionate presence of these professionals eases the experience of a visit to the vet for pets and [...]
Today people from all walks of life – from celebrities to senior citizens are using Personal Fitness Trainers to help them learn how to exercise, lose weight, have better eating habits and adopt a healthier lifestyle. The National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) is the most recognized and respected name in [...]
A certificate in Medical Coding & Insurance Billing provides theoretical & practical training in fundamental electronic Medical Billing and Coding skills that are essential to the modern-day medical office. You will learn all about common medical procedures that are performed in the average medical office, and how to properly and effectively code and bill [...]
Certified Medical Assistant Program at California Healing Arts College is designed to prepare you for the real world of working in a busy and growing medical office or clinical environment. Certified Medical Assistants are the heart of any good medical practice: you are the person who first greets a new patient, records [...]